Thursday, September 25, 2014

Job Change after school has started




I went to work on Tuesday and boy I got a surprise. One of our special ed directors came by and asked if he could talk to me. Of course, my heart dropped and I felt that awful feeling that I was being sent to the principals office- yikes! He wanted to tell me that I was needed somewhere else in a teaching job since I didn't have any students. A high school was in dire need of a special education teacher who could do Individual Educational program (IEP's). So I said what would happen when I got students within my program and he said that I would stay at the high school until they could hire someone full time. When I get students the district would get a tutor or a sub for my position

So I head over to the high school to observe and get a feel of the land. I never thought I would ever teach in an English class but that is exactly what I am doing - wow! Of course, after observing the class I realized that I needed some material from my class. After work I went to my program and picked up writing prompts, logic puzzles, finding facts- most of my Do it Now worksheets. I think these will be a life saver.

Wednesday we used one of the writing prompts and it gave me an assessment on how students can write a complete sentence. Quite a few students start their sentences without a capital and all I's in lower case - EECK! So now I need to find some worksheets regarding capitalization and the importance of the capital I.

I am hoping that this job will be short lived so I can get back to my original job. Now in the present I plan to get curriculum for at least a couple of weeks. This way I will at least know what is happening daily. I really dont like the unknown- but I do my best teaching by the fly of my pants.

Have any of you been thrown into a situation that was out of your control?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...