Monday, September 22, 2014

Game on Diet - Here we Go!

The Game On! Diet: Kick Your Friend's Butt While Shrinking Your Own
My sister had this great idea about getting the family involved with healthy eating and exercise. The way we are going to do this is through a book called The Game On! Diet.


This diet is a little different since you are competing against others that also on the program. Currently it will be my parents, sister, 2 daughters and myself will be one team and the other team is another family my sister knows. It consists of eating 5 meals a day roughly every 2 to 4 hours and drinking 100 oz. of water also. In addition, 20 minutes of exercise daily. Somehow points are added or deducted from your total daily score depending on how well you ate, drank and exercised. 

The big day starts next Monday. Yesterday Erika and I were running around town, buying all the necessary stuff - like you need a scale to weigh in every Monday. (Hopefully I can keep this scale around for more than a couple of months- something with electronics and me.) Stocked up on food at Costco and will probably need to go to Freddy's sometime this week and get more veggies. 

I decided I was going to start this week and see how hard it might be with the water. Water is not my favorite beverage and now I have to drink a swimming pool worth in one day (OK I know it's not a swimming pool - but it feels like an awful lot of liquid).

I will let you know how things are going daily and especially the food I might be trying. Today I tried the smoothie and the oatmeal pudding, these were recipes from the Game On book. They might be an acquired taste, they weren't bad.

The smoothie I had for breakfast (forgot to take a picture - I'll take one tomorrow).

This is the recipe I used it was from the book:
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup non-fat Greek Yogurt
Handful of frozen fruit (I used strawberries) or 1 banana
1 tsp. flaxseed oil
Pinch of cinnamon

Whirl in a blender and drink. This had a bit of a twang because of the Greek yogurt.
Ingredients for smoothie
Drink Up!

The oatmeal pudding I had 2-1/2 hours later as a mid-afternoon snack.

Cook oatmeal (don't use instant) on the stove - .
1/2 cup oatmeal 
1 cup water

Stir constantly and when oatmeal is almost done (gets thicker) add 3 egg whites and stir well. Take off stove and add 1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit (I added frozen blueberries). Stir in 1 tsp. maple syrup and 1tsp. flaxseed oil and enjoy!

Tomorrow I am going to see about making the oatmeal at school. I have a little burner that I can cook stuff on and I will take a pan - we will see if it works, otherwise I will make it the night before and warm it up in the microwave.


Source: The Game On! Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...