Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pruning a photinia hedge

I can cross off another item off of my summer list - cutting photinia hedge by driveway. Every year, I need to trim our photinia hedge, it has a way of getting out of control and this week is yard waste pickup. So I decided it would be a good time to cut the hedge. I got the hedge clippers, extension cord and the step stool and set them out in the middle of the driveway. Next, I had to move all the containers and a cold frame away from the hedge, so as not to fall over them. Look at how uneven the hedge is - I am assuming it has something to do with where the sun hits. Also the hedge on the end on your right is dehydrated since it is thinner and a different color, it even has dark spots on the leaves.

So after getting the step ladder I realized I couldn't reach the back side of the hedge. I went and got the small ladder to be able to clip the back of the hedge and even then I needed the long tree clippers to get the stragglers.  But after trimming and cleaning up all the debris - I have a full can of yard waste and a nicely trimmed hedge.
 Looks so much better, until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...