Thursday, May 29, 2014

Banana Chocolate Muffins

I have been on and off again trying to get off gluten. A couple of years ago, I found a great site called Nourishing Meals. They had great allergy free recipes on their site, so I decided to buy their cookbook from Amazon called The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook. It is filled with over 200 gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free recipes. One of my favorite muffin recipe is for Banana Walnut Muffins. The recipe states it makes 1-1/2 dozen muffins, but I seem to always make 23 muffins. Here is the recipe:

2-1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup whole cane sugar (I have used white sugar)
2 tsp. baking powder (homemade)
1-1/2 tsp xanthan gum (binder)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt (I leave this out)
4 large ripe bananas
1 cup milk alternative (soy, coconut, hemp, almond, etc.)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil (I buy mine at Costco)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1 cup chocolate chips, optional
1 to 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, optional

I never follow the recipe by adding the dry together then the wet, I just dump everything in at once and then blend. This time I used the chocolate chips. But I have in the past I have used the blueberries in one batch with the bananas and in another batch I have used the walnuts. Either way they have turned out great. If you want to add flax or chia seeds, I would minus a little out of the brown rice flour.

Bake at 375degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Either use paper muffin tins or I use the silicone muffin cups. I use a Pampered Chef 3 Tablespoon Scoop but any large scoop like - Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 50mm (3-Tablespoon) will work it's the perfect size for filling each muffin cup.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...