Monday, September 23, 2013

Alternative to commercial dog food


My animals are very much a part of my family. Currently we have 2 dogs (Jack is a black Labrador and Stella is a yellow Labrador) and 4 cats (2 are outside - Mister and Zoe and 2 are inside - Olivia and Mittens). When Jack started developing skin problems, I started looking for alternative ways of feeding my dog. Since I believed it had something to do with all the recalls regarding processed dog kibble,  I began researching the internet for homemade dog recipes. This site ilovedogs seemed to have a variety of recipes. So I tried them. Now I have created my own dog food and will be on the look out for more adaptive food. 

Here is what I currently do to feed Jack. Every 3 weeks I soak a bag of each: dried black beans, dried red kidney beans, dried split peas, dried lentils, dried barley in a giant bowl.






After it has been soaking for at least 12 hours, I rinse it off and put it in a big soup pot with more water (cover the beans) after a couple of hours I either add white rice or quinoa, stir and cook some more. I probably cook it for a total of 3 to 4 hours. I make sure everything is cooked through and through, it will look like a gray smush. Jack loves it. I add about 1-1/2 to 2 cups of the bean/rice mix, add left over veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes, kale, etc). If I have left over smoothie I add that to the top or like below, a sliced banana. Drizzle a little olive oil. Feed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...